Saturday, July 25, 2026

And They Speak English

Saturday, July 18, 2026
Stony Brook Steve and I had lunch at the Fairway Cafe, 2131 Broadway, one flight above the market. Its windows overlook Broadway and the ceiling is high, otherwise the room is dull. It has about two dozen two-tops made of a composite black material. 

We return often because the food is consistently good. I had a Chicken & Fig Sandwich, toasted sourdough bread, grilled chicken breast, fig jam, spinach, brie cheese with a generous portion of French fries ($18). Be advised though that they offer Diet Coke in miniscule bottles.
.  .  .

I found this compilation interesting, where tourists outnumber locals.


This is particularly valuable if you want to travel to meet tourists.

Sunday, July 19, 2026
If you follow the World Cup, you know that FIFA, its governing body, maintains an oppressive, corrupt control over every aspect of the event. MetLife Stadium, the venue for the championship game in East Rutherford, New Jersey, was temporarily relabeled New York New Jersey Stadium because MetLife would not pay a sponsorship fee. 

A singular halftime show was created for the final match today, with Madonna, Justin Bieber, Shakira and BTS as headliners, plus Burna Boy, a Staten Island elementary school chorus and the New York Philharmonic, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel. The result was a break of 27 minutes while Law 7 of the 17 foundational Laws of the Game maintained by the International Football Association Board provides that “Players are entitled to an interval at halftime, not exceeding 15 minutes.” laws-of-the-game-2025-26-single-pages

Of course, according to the foul head of FIFA, 27 is to 15 as Donald Trump is to peace.

Monday, July 20, 2026
I had an appointment with Dr. Brucker this morning. It’s the kind of appointment where you stand around for half an hour without any pants on. I realize that women more often have a doctor’s appointment without any pants on. However, standing around without any pants on, I imagine, is different than lying down without any pants on. Standing around brings back distant memories of boyhood when running around without any pants on felt joyous and liberating. “Look at me.” Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.

Things were a bit more sober this morning, but I derived some pleasure from a benign assessment. I come back in November. 

Tuesday, July 21, 2026
If you are feeling a lack of spirituality in your life, you might consider relocating to a more religious location. An ancillary benefit will be the increase in the number of Republican friends and neighbors.

Wednesday, July 22, 2026
Until now, I reflexively considered anti-immigrant sentiment to be racially based. It's Black, Brown and Yellow people who are being turned away from our borders and being rounded up and deported when already here. Their virtues, circumstances and histories are ignored as the likes of Stephen Miller, White House Homeland Security Advisor, rejoices in stating that "America's doors are closed fully to asylum seekers."  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-stephen-miller-says-americas-doors-are-closed-fully-to-asylum-seekers-after-supreme-court-rulings

However, antagonism towards the stranger, the other, is found even where the differences are subtle, even invisible to the naked eye. In South Africa, Africans from other nations are being hounded and expelled in large numbers.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/more-than-53000-immigrants-have-been-deported-or-repatriated-by-south-africa-in-a-crackdown

Rodney King, the unfortunate victim of police brutality in Los Angeles, asked "Can we all just get along?"    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King

Not yet.
.  .  .

Oh, by the way, my wife left me today. Actually, I left her. I left her at Penn Station so she could take the train to Boston, where she would meet our granddaughter and prepare for their trip to Panama tomorrow. I am staying behind in order to help facilitate peace in the Middle East.

Thursday, July 23, 2026
“Numerous gun shops that had their licenses revoked under the Biden administration are now back in business.”

Feel safer?
.  .  .

“Nicaragua's long-serving president Daniel Ortega said the Central American country will no longer hold elections, eliminating the possibility ‌of an electoral challenge when his term ends next year and further entrenching the rule he shares with his wife.” 

Melania, are you listening?

Friday, July 24, 2026
Today, for the fourth time, I had my physical therapy session by video in order to avoid the hot spot of Legionnaire's Disease on Manhattan's Upper East Side where five people have died and many more remain hospitalized. This also allows me to wait until the last moment to get ready, skip combing my hair and wear the shlumpiest of clothes. Unfortunately, my convenience comes from a great cost to public health. It's not a fair trade.  

2 comments:

  1. i always meet friends at Viand but i think on Alan's recommendation i will try Fairway. Problem is my hearing. I am almost deaf and my hearing aids help but they are not selective and so when i turn them u p to hear a friend in a restaurant i hear all the restaurant noise. It is very annoying. I have a remote mike which does help. I think other friends who wear hearing aids must have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Mayris was able to leave from Penn Station--not Trump Station.

    ReplyDelete