Friday, May 31, 2019

Judaism, Yum

Monday, May 27, 2019
The New York Times reported this weekend that the average American wedding last year cost $33,931.  Wow!  I read this just as we celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary and, I must confess, we did not spend $25,470 (the 2003 equivalent of $33,931).  In fact, 17 people attended our wedding, including the rabbi and us, and spending almost $1,500 per person would have been a level of vulgar excess more characteristic of a Trump or a Kardashian than even the incipient Upper West Side Power Couple. 
. . .

I learned the factoid above in reading what-I-alone-might-still-call the society pages, a regular stop on my weekend information-gathering rounds.  Therein, I also came across a bride who "works . . . as a senior experience designer at . . . a digital transformation company."  Will someone venture an explanation of that in English?
. . .

In order to pay for that big wedding, you presumably need a job; someone needs a job; your in-laws need a job.  To get that job, a counter-intuitive trend may have to be followed.  "Superstar cities, the nation’s economic powerhouses, hotbeds of opportunity at the cutting edge of technological progress, are losing people to other parts of the country."  To be clear, this trend is stratified.  The onrush of college graduates to New York, San Francisco, Seattle is forcing non-college graduates out, unable to meet the rising cost of living.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/21/business/economy/migration-big-cities.html

The article is loaded with a wonderful collection of facts and figures, such as a janitor is better off (financially) staying in the Deep South than moving to Silicon Valley today, while a lawyer is much better off making the move.
And, New York's total population shrank in 2018 for the second year in a row, except in the subway.
. . .

Another reason why it was hard to find time to leave the house this weekend was this article: "The College Dropout Crisis."  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/23/opinion/sunday/college-graduation-rates-ranking.html 

This provides comparisons of actual versus projected graduation rates among 368 colleges.  An interesting fact is that the University of Nevada, Las Vegas seemed to have the worst dropout rate, while Clark County, Nevada, home of Las Vegas, had the highest rate of population growth in the survey of cities above.  Go figure.
. . .

After all that good stuff in the weekend's paper, I was ready to rest today, but it was not to be.  The Metropolitan Diary is a Monday feature in the New York Times, containing anecdotes about big city life, often taking place on the the subways or sidewalks of the Holy Land.  My big mouth fell open when I read this entry: "In fall 1999, I was single and I decided to have a party where single men and women could meet.  The caveat was that everyone I invited had to bring an equally unattached friend, presumably someone they were not romantically interested in."   
 
I did exactly that almost 2 decades earlier in 1981.  I informally labelled the event, They Were Expendable, borrowing the title from the 1945 movie about the exploits of a PT Boat squadron in the Pacific, which included Lieutenant Junior Grade John F. Kennedy at one time.
I was living in Turtle Bay, a neighborhood that I shared with Katherine Hepburn and Stephen Sondheim, in the same building with Barry Beck, then captain of the New York Rangers, and Ed Kranepol, longtime first baseman for the New York Mets.  That did not save the evening from being a disaster.  While I invited many eligible single people, male and female (that's all you worried about back then), only Steve, a bright young colleague whose last name I have forgotten, Linda, an acquaintance whose last name I will charitably omit, and a young man whom Linda brought, faithfully, but fruitlessly, respecting the purpose of the evening, showed up.  To underline my gross miscalculation and add to my mortification, there was prompt delivery of the 50 BBQ chicken wings that I ordered from Best Wingers, still in business at 711 Second Avenue.  I cannot recall, however, to which collection of widows and orphans I forwarded the almost entirely undisturbed food package.

The author of the squib in the newspaper, fortunately, had much better luck and reported that she hosted a successful event, drat.

Thursday, May 30, 2019
[Clue] 65 Across - 1% of the body?
. . .

After a meeting last night, I sent this message to a fellow-attendee: "I am sorry for making a stupid, unfair and ill-informed remark."  I received this generous reply: "No apologies necessary.  I am not sure what you are referring to; I took no offense at anything said last night (or otherwise), my friend."  So, next time, I will speak louder.
. . .

Jeanne Friedman graduated CCNY in 1963 and headed west for graduate school and eventually a career and a family.  After decades apart, we have caught up with each other several times on both coasts.  Tonight, we had dinner together at Pastrami Queen, 1125 Lexington Avenue, the best Kosher delicatessen operating in the Holy Land at present.  Maybe someone should design an outfit for an occasion such as this, when someone gets a chance to reconnect with her historical and spiritual roots.  Sort of like the Society of Creative Anachronism dressed up in medieval costumes, jousting in Central Park.  

The three of us, my young bride included of course,  approached the meal strategically; I had warned the two women that the sandwiches were particularly large.  They shared a pastrami on rye ($18), while I had a corned beef/chopped liver combo on rye ($23), giving 1/6 of it to each of them.  Various flavors of Dr. Brown's washed down the excellent sandwiches and the shared large portion of well-done French fries ($7.75). 

Jews don't proselytize, which I consider a mistake.  We sometimes give the impression of smugly sitting back, waiting for you to come to us.  In any case, were I in charge, I would serve Pastrami Queen's corned beef and pastrami at the rear of synagogues, requiring you to traverse the allegedly sacred space to get to the good stuff, just as supermarkets put the milk in the farthest corner from the front door. 
. . .

A combination of bad news and good news has produced what may be taken as good news.  The federal government's portion of the safety net has frayed (bad news), while state and local governments have introduced or improved paid parental leave and increased minimum wages (good news).  This has produced a notable increase in the employment rate of single mothers.  https://nyti.ms/2KbIUhk

By the way, the venues where you find these progressive social and economic policies are typically governed by Democrats, because Republicans are too busy listening for fetal heartbeats. 

Friday, May 31, 2019
It's that time of year again.  The unstructured Jews of West End Synagogue head to the country for a weekend, taking the opportunity to quibble, nit pick and split hairs out of doors, for a change.  Yours truly is managing this event, as I have year after year, which is why this essay is being delivered early, the sooner to be forgotten.   

Answer - SENATOR 

No comments:

Post a Comment