Saturday, June 17, 2023

Hip, Hip Hooray

Saturday, June 10, 2023 
I returned to Palazzo di Gotthelf today, with a walker and some of the Sackler family's finest products.  Awaiting me was a two pound tin of David's Cookies, generously contributed by my brother, four varieties, chocolate chip, double chocolate chip, peanut butter chocolate chip and walnut chocolate chip.  I am uncertain as to whether I will share these beyond America's Favorite Epidemiologist who has a natural claim to them, as well as any other item acquired after May 25, 2003, although her interest in cookies has never approached my own [sigh of relief].
. . .

Speaking of love and marriage, the pandemic not only kept people out of offices, it kept them out of singles' bars and hot tubs, resulting in fewer romances, liaisons and hook-ups.  Thus, sales of engagement rings were down, probably with other elements of the bridal-industrial complex.  https://signetjewelers.com/investors/financial-news-releases/financial-news-release/2023/SIGNET-JEWELERS-REPORTS-  
 
Sunday, June 11, 2023
The business and science pages of the newspaper seem to be preoccupied with the growth of Artificial Intelligence (AI).  Maybe getting accustomed to the use of a walker has made me more appreciative of having a firm footing before moving forward.  Therefore, I am much more concerned about the preponderance of Real Ignorance (RI) in our society today.

Monday, June 12, 2023
I can't ignore the pain and inconvenience associated with my hip replacement surgery and recuperation, but need the New York Mets lose five of their last six games when I can only provide underpowered support?
. . .

Catching up with my reading, I spent too much time with an article in The New Yorker about the proliferation of Marvel Comics superheroes in the movies.  I was intrigued by the epiphany experienced by one of the key movie makers: “He worked for consulting firms, but after his sister died, of lupus, he realized that ‘life is precious’ and moved to Hollywood,” where nothing is apparently more precious.

Tuesday, June 13, 2023
"Southern Baptists Move to Purge Churches With Female Pastors"  https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/13/us/southern-baptist-movement-women-pastors.html
 
This may surprise some of you, but there are even Orthodox synagogues with women clergy.  "Around 87 women rabbis are associated with Orthodox Judaism worldwide."  
 
Now, if that doesn't make Southern Baptists woke, I don't know what will.
. . .

I have been very heartened by the amount of attention and concern forthcoming from so many of you on three continents.  It’s encouraging to be regarded even when in such a diminished state.  Additionally, there have been some material offerings worth noting.  A Junior’s cheesecake sits in the freezer next to the tin of David’s Cookies, awaiting the return of my appetite, although it (my appetite) is such a large thing, it’s hard to imagine it being misplaced.  

Fortunately, some taste for the good life remains and I didn’t hesitate devouring the two pieces of fried gefilte fish that Joan E. brought directly from Dovid’s Fresh Fish Market, 736 Chestnut Avenue, Teaneck.  Bless that woman.

Wednesday, June 14, 2023
In case you haven't chosen a Father's Day gift yet and, like me, you always seek that special something, consider a body part from the morgue at Harvard Medical School.
Thursday, June 15, 2023
I believe that the Chinese ignore our racial differences and consider us all White People, just as Latin American revolutionaries oppose Yankees, even when some of us are Mets fans.  Further, exposure to our lunchrooms and snack bars has produced a very unfavorable view of our cuisine, known as "báirén fàn” or “white people food”
 
Our search for naturalness and farm-to-table simplicity has produced the "lunch of suffering."  Under these circumstances, the French would be excused from being White People.

1 comment:

  1. Not all " white people food" is awful. I have had a passible string bean casserole.
    Heal quickly

    ReplyDelete